2022 Instagram Hashtag Guide
Believe it or not, Instagram Hashtags are still one of the most effective ways to get more engagement on your Instagram posts in 2022.
Here’s a complete guide.
Why Use Them?
The biggest question is why? What’s so important about this “#” sign that can make or break your Instagram presence? Hashtags are a very important way to increase your rank and grow your Instagram audience. When you use a hashtag, it will appear on a certain audience’s feed when they search for that hashtag. .
Top tip – your audience can choose to follow your hashtag (encourage this!) which in turn means that they will follow your brand in a slightly different way. It’s a great way to build your very own community online so that people are motivated to engage with your brand.
How To Select Hashtags
To be honest, you can google it and get many hashtag generators online which will automatically give you a hashtag to use but if you really want genuine results, you need to do some research yourself.
Here are our tips to come up with your own Instagram hashtags:
- Think out of the box – There is no set rule that you have to use a word to word relevant hashtag with every post. Instead, try to think of other things like locations or brands that could attract your audience even more. Stand out and grab their attention.
- Stay Relevant – Whatever you do, make sure whatever you choose goes exactly with what you post. Your audience would like to see what they searched for and that is as simple as it can be. The more relevant you are, the more chances there are for your engagement to increase and your rank to go up.
- Take help from Hashtag finders – These include Flick and Inflact along with many more that can help you find relevant hashtags based on your audience and account metrics.
- Know your hashtags – A great way to do that is to use the “Follow Hashtag” feature on Instagram. Know the overall engagement your chosen hashtags are getting. If it’s too big then it’s more than likely that you will have more competition and low ranking. In order to increase your overall performance, your hashtags need to be moderately competitive and easy to search.
- Analyse and rethink – The job doesn’t end here because once out there, you need to constantly analyse which hashtags are ranking well and which of them need work or replacement. You can do that through Instagram Analytics.
- Think about what your ideal customer likes. Any particular Instagram communities, like #slowliving for example?
How Many To Use
Instagram has suggested using 3-5 hashtags per post to make sure that you are targeting only your relevant niche audience rather than targeting a larger number of uninterested people.
However, on the other hand, using more hashtags can also increase your ranking since there are more chances to gain engagement.
The takeaway? For now, using more hashtags is still the best strategy for increasing your reach on Instagram. However, since Instagram is constantly evolving, it could be fruitful to test both ways to see what suits your business and target audience more.
Where To Put Them (Caption/1st Comment)
There are two ways you can place your Instagram hashtags while posting. The first way is to write them in the caption, either at the end of it or smartly placing them between your texts so that they are readable and are also aesthetically pleasing to the audience. On the other hand, if you wish to not make them completely visible to the audience, you can go ahead and type them in the 1st Comment of the post as soon as you’re done posting. This way, your post could still rank without looking too messy.
Ready to find out more? Let’s take a look at a list of the best hashtag generator tools we put together for you:
- Flick is a hashtag generator tool that not only finds and manages hashtags for you but also shows you which hashtags increase your discoverability.
- Inflact is a multipurpose Instagram growth tool that comes with a hashtag search feature too. Easy to use and very efficient, this tool is perfect for you if you’re looking to save time and get maximum results.
- Kicksta is a tool that helps you grow your Instagram followers by providing you with analytics and growth details along with a hashtag search feature.